17 March 2009

The Plan

Photo: k.Akagami

For someone with such a free form existence I certainly love structure, and it seems that structure loves me. Setting up a routine with my exercise has really paid off. I'm now doing 30min of cardio every day with the regularity of a timepiece. Now that I have worked out a schedule for my resistance exercise I'm in a state of elation as I complete each task according to plan.

There is just that little matter of food. I mentally did an assessment of what I eat today and it's not so bad, lot's of antioxidants, good protein sources, not too much processed crap. The problem is I eat way way way too much. I eat like I am on the brink of an apocalypse, I eat to keep myself entertained, I eat as a procrastination, I eat, I eat I eat.

Part of this problem is the fact that I eat at the speed of light, I am the Superwoman of eating. I could easily make a three course meal disappear in the time it would take a "normal" person to begin to contemplate their entree. There they would be savoring the smells and presentation and I'd be there tapping my fingers thinking "hmmmm I wonder if that great dessert place is open down the road".

Now any dieter worth their weight in Cadbury Creme Eggs knows that over eating and eating too fast is a combination that equals weight gain like no other. I think part of the problem is not having a clear picture in my mind of what I should and could be doing to get that scale edging in the right direction.

My usual attempt at a solution goes like this:
Hmmm I eat too much, I'm going to eat less.
Hmmm I eat too fast, I'm going to eat slower.

I was sitting there thinking these exact thoughts today when I realised something seemed very familiar, I'd been down this road many times before and where had it got me? Here. I had a long hard look at here in the mirror and realised it's not where I want to be. I want to be there, in the land of no back fat, slender thighs and shapely arms. I want to be over there, where looking in the mirror isn't quiet so painful.

So I have devised a plan. Like my new exercise routine, I am going to start slow, be accountable and be consistent. This is my plan, it is long, overly detailed, and probably totally boring for you, but this is part of being accountable, now you know what I'm doing. For all those who know and eat with me in the real world feel free to pull me up if you see me with the crazy eyes, inhaling plates of food like a tornado let free.

To combat eating too fast I am going to eat slower, to do this I am going to:



  1. Chew each mouthful until I have munched recognisable food bits into oblivion.

  2. Pause after swallowing and take two deep relaxing breaths.

  3. Not reload my fork until steps 1 and 2 have been executed.



To combat eating too much I am going to eat less, to do this I am going to:



  1. Observe above guidelines and ask myself after each mouthful if I am still hungry

  2. When I stop being hungry I will:
    a. If out, get up, go to the bathroom, wash my hands, look at myself in the mirror and tell myslef I am finished.
    b. If I am at home, take my plate into the kitchen and wash it up. I will not sneak extra bits while I am there.

  3. If eating out and sharing a variety of dishes, predetermine portions before they arrive at the table and eat accordingly, remembering to continue to abide by above guidelines.


There it is, you've seen it, I've seen it, time to do it. Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated. Watch this space for a report in the coming weeks.


"Innovation is not the product of logical thought, although the result is tied to logical structure"
Albert Einstein

*Note: Much love to Roni at SkinnyMiniMedia for her posts on HTML for beginners I made headings and lists, yippeee!

6 comments:

  1. Amen sister. I will try that with you. I like the idea of taking two breaths in between eating. I have found that when I eat slow like that, I naturally want less. While taking the breaths too, I will actually put down my fork. Then pick it up again when the breaths are finished. I'll let you know how it goes! I kind of feel like we are weight loss sisters. We struggle with many of the same things. We can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly how it feels and I should have used your going out tips last week! I used to be all of the above and I still think I hoover up most of my meals. But I've also started listening to my body and generally I can stop when I'm full even if my husband continues eating and eating and eating and eating and eating...Talk about peer pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I also put my eating implement down sometimes when I realise I'm eating too fast. Do you have trouble with snacking between meals? I find that my motivation to take care of my teeth leads me to an increased avoidance of eating between meals. My father insists he flosses after every time he eats, so he has to take that effort into account even if he's contemplating a little snack. Shall you, Berni, and I have backward races whenever we eat together: last to finish wins? ...though, may leads to other undesirable outcomes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT PLAN. may I add that, for me, I really try to focus in the INDULGENCE OF EATING OUT.
    The nonfood.
    the fact Im not cooking.
    the fact that I dont need to get off my arse and do a thing :)
    the conversation.
    the fact Im not cleaning up :)

    all that.

    if it isnt an 'occasion' I eat as I would at home (clean) but feel indulged in all those other ways.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joie: Can't wait to hear how you go sister :)

    Spring Girl: I can totally relate to the husband eating and eating and eating. Amazing what your body tells you when you listen.

    Chico: You know I love a good competition, almost as much as flossing my teeth, you're on brudda.

    Miz: EXCELLENT advice. It's now officially part of the plan. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't seem to find it online, but Maggie Alderson's column in last week's Good Weekend (14-3-2009, p.39) seems relevent here.

    ReplyDelete