08 January 2009

Ganbatte Bunny-chan!


See look at that, I'm speaking Japanese already, ha! Ganbatte translates roughly to "go for it", so here I am cheering myself on.

The Inspired Wanderer sent me a great link about exercise requirements needed for weight loss yesterday. 60mins of moderate intensity per day is needed to get you and keep you looking trim and taut, some researchers even suggest up to 90mins of sweatarobics per day. Hmm, I guess my meager 15min on the Wonderfully Fandangled Exercise Machine and an occasional stroll up the shops isn't really cutting it.

Handy piece of info to have, crazy what my brain does when I get said info and try to process it through my chipped and rusty neurons. If you haven't already noticed, I seem to have a very strong self sabotaging switch that gets turned on rather regularly, and even though said switch flicked on last night I seem to have returned to the land of the living within record breaking time and even managed to do 60mins of exercise today. What is going on here, could it be? Could I be actually trying to change?

Just so you don't think I've turned into a super positive, crazy, together type, I'll let you in on what remains of the melodramatic me.

Input: 60min of exercise is required per day to lose weight

Stage 1: Hmmm an hour of exercise sure is more than what I'm doing right now, maybe I'll just increase it slowly.

Stage 2: (SM appears, she's been on holiday and is back with a tan and a mighty foul mouth) "Who are you kidding, you f#@ing loser of all losers, you won't even last the c#$@ing week doing the 15mins/day, and you dare to entertain the idea of b%$#dy increasing your exercise, HA! I laugh at you and your wobbly thighs Ha!"

Stage 3: Go to bed crying and feeling like a lost cause.

Stage 4: Get up in the middle of the night, freak out about having gestational diabetes (note, there is no impending pregnancy, just midnight madness) do some research online and freak out some more, go back to bed dreaming of my diabetic offspring and their medical bills.

Now what usually happens here is a period of a few days to a week of feeling pretty shit about life, eating like a newly released POW, with the idea of exercise being not much more than watching Run Lola Run. But something strange happened last night, it could have been the cool breeze, maybe it was the clean sheets, but a whole new stage emerged, and I am awed by it's simplicity and it's courage.

Stage 5: Wake up feeling determined to rid myself of the risk of gestational diabetes, and endeavor to do 60mins of exercise today.

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anybody can start today and make a new ending"
Maria Robinson

2 comments:

  1. Hey it ate my comment!
    Anyway all I said was you CAN do it.
    No doubt about it.
    The first day is by far the hardest I reckon. It gets easier and feels GOOD. (I only did it three days in a row....:)- but soon it will be a week.. and then two weeks...etc.
    Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but there's this nice feeling of control that sweeps over me when I commit and leep to said commitment of daily exercise... When I put that hour above everything else in that day it works. It's one of the toughest things I ever did to make me the number one priority and to get my daily fitness dose... but after the first month it's worth it!! Keep at it my girl. Sending you much love from frosty Ottawa. Heather xoxox

    ReplyDelete